Welcome to our adventures. I try as best as I can to document the happenings here in our family - everything from the shenanigans to the spiritual, from the kid to the kitchen, from the cat to the catastrophes. We believe that adventure can be found in everything we do...even in the mundane tasks of the day. When we set our minds on things above in gratitude to God, we find the strength to approach life with a sense of purpose & adventure. The adventure may not always be what we have planned...but isn't that what adventure is all about?

Other Stuff We Do

Blog Archive

Friday, April 10, 2009
Today I have done alot of thinking about trees.

I have thought about trees jettisoning into the sides of houses, or falling on roofs, or swirling around in mid air like a piece of hay on a windy day. I have thought about the force it must take for a mature tree to be uprooted from the ground and tossed into the road.

photo credit: JAE S. LEE / THE TENNESSEAN


I am thankful that the trees in my yard are still standing. Even the Robin's nest is still nestled in its place on the branch of our oak tree. I am thankful for the hedge of protection around our neighborhood even as one of many tornadoes made its path of destruction only a mile or two away.


photo credit: GEORGE WALKER IV / THE TENNESSEAN


I've also been thinking about another tree.



The tree that my Lord and Savior Jesus Christ hung on a few thousand years ago.

As our family read the account of the crucifixion tonight, I watched Abby's face contemplate the pain that Jesus must have been experiencing as he questioned, "My God, My God, why have you forsaken me?" I try in some small way to understand the enormous sacrifice that was made on that tree for us...so that we can have access to an abundant, victorious life. In place of punishment, wounding, death, poverty, shame and rejection, Christ freely offers forgiveness, healing, life, abundance, glory and acceptance.

I always want to rush ahead to Sunday...to the "He is Risen" part of my faith...but remembering the tree...hanging out on it and thinking about it....makes Sunday morning even more glorious.

Thanks to friends and family who lifted up prayers on our behalf during our weather drama today...we are so thankful to be safe and warm in our home tonight - with power! Our thoughts and prayers go out to those in our community who were not as fortunate, and especially to the family of the mother and infant who lost their lives today.

Love,
Kristin.

1 comments:

Brandi Hasley said...

Amen Sister!