Welcome to our adventures. I try as best as I can to document the happenings here in our family - everything from the shenanigans to the spiritual, from the kid to the kitchen, from the cat to the catastrophes. We believe that adventure can be found in everything we do...even in the mundane tasks of the day. When we set our minds on things above in gratitude to God, we find the strength to approach life with a sense of purpose & adventure. The adventure may not always be what we have planned...but isn't that what adventure is all about?

Other Stuff We Do

Friday, May 15, 2009
WARNING

Please keep all animals, small children and valuable extremities at least 50 feet away from this man while he sits on his lawn tractor.


In addition to the above disclaimer, I am also kindly warning you that I am about to attempt to create an entire post around the fact that we mowed the lawn today. I cannot be held responsible for the following content...I have momentarily lost my right mind and am only operating in the left. Please post your grievances in the comment section and I will gladly address them when I return to sanity.

Ladies and gentlemen, boys and girls, birds and bees...sound the horns, blast the confetti, put on your party hats. It's inauguration day!


Big Red made his first official appearance today around the lawn of Club Amaro.

I'm here to tell you our yard will NEVER have overgrown, unruly grass. Why, you ask? Because my husband has found the fountain of youth - sitting on Big Red in 6th gear.


Let me break it down for you. Mike and I are sitting at the kitchen table eating breakfast (Abby is at school) and we are looking at the back yard. It all started when I say, "Wow, that grass is getting kinda long".

Translation: "You need to get out there and start that lawn tractor up and mow this thing before the rain comes today."

His response, "Yeah...sure is"
Translation: "Yeah....sure is"

So then I come back with this gem, "Maybe I should go start Big Red up and take it him for a spin, huh?"

Translation, "I live in Tennessee now and I know that I'm sort of expected to do things like ride a lawn tractor around with curlers in my hair, and really, I think I might kind of like to do that, but I don't want to like it....I'm confused and I'm not sure what to do. Can you go get me a Starbucks and then come back and mow the lawn?"

His response, "Sure...you want me to back it out of the shed for you?"
Translation: "Sure...you want me to back it out of the shed for you?"

So we head out to the back yard. Mike backs Big Red out of the shed and starts him up. Mike was kind enough to give me a quick lesson on how to run it without mangling myself. I have to say, I was quite nervous at first. Something about large blades spinning around faster than the speed of light right under my feet that just puts me a little on the uneasy side, you know? But, after a few laps around the play structure (ahem...I mean, swing set) I was sort of digging it.

Then it happened.

The little boy inside of Mike wanted to ride.

"You better let me quick get that section underneath the trees...that way, it won't mess up your hair" (Of course I was wearing my cowgirl hat, but that's besides the point)

Translation: MY TURN!!!!!

And then this happened:



Needless to say, I let the boy finish the grass and I ran and got the camera so I could document the momentous occasion when Big Red made his inaugural trip around the lawn. Mike also had fun multi-tasking during his ride. He could mow and make Tony Amaro hand gestures at the same time. Exhibit A:


We also did have one casualty:

R.I.P. Abby's Velcro tennis ball

All in all, we are happy to report that Big Red runs pretty well (thanks Joe and Rusty!). He seemed to get over his carburetor problems and now just needs a little tire TLC. That, and we need to come up with a lawn pattern strategy - riding aimlessly around the yard does not look professional and also wastes gas. It's bad enough we have our 6 year old preaching to us about how the engine emissions are harming the atmosphere.

So there you go...happy inauguration day. And I may be able to promise you this will be the last post on mowing you will ever see on T.A.C.A. For May, anyways.

All "choked" up,
k

Club Amaro's new handsome mow boy.

1 comments:

Brandi Hasley said...

I think the left side of your brain works quite well...love the translations! Too bad Mike called your bluff to start with. Good thing you followed thru with it!