Welcome to our adventures. I try as best as I can to document the happenings here in our family - everything from the shenanigans to the spiritual, from the kid to the kitchen, from the cat to the catastrophes. We believe that adventure can be found in everything we do...even in the mundane tasks of the day. When we set our minds on things above in gratitude to God, we find the strength to approach life with a sense of purpose & adventure. The adventure may not always be what we have planned...but isn't that what adventure is all about?

Other Stuff We Do

Monday, June 1, 2009
You know "the man", right?

The man is like...the Bill Gates or the Larry Ellison's of the world. Or those corporate suits that take million dollar bonuses 5 minutes before taking government bailout money. You know him....he's the man. Ok, well...maybe it could be the woman...but "THE MAN" sounds so much better. Say it. THE MAN.

There is nothing I like better than sticking it to the man. (Please make your checks payable to, "Club Amaro Therapy Fund") That's not true, there are many, many things I like better than sticking it to the man....but I REALLY like sticking it to the man.

I can't help it...I'm all about the little guy...the mom & pop shops...the corner stores. I'm anti-big business....anti-monopoly. Ok...so my husband works for one of the biggest banks on the planet. We can look past these little hypocrisies, can't we?

So here's a little story about how I stuck it to the man today.

In a few weeks, Club Amaro will be welcoming another round of company...Grandaddy & Aunt Jan...YAY! So, here at the Club, we have deluxe accommodations for our guests. However, if we have more than one set of guests, we have the "slightly less than" deluxe accommodations. Those accommodations include an Aero bed on the floor of my beloved craft room...and...if you're lucky, we'll throw in a pillow and some linens.

In an attempt to boost the rating of our 2nd party facilities, I set out to buy one of those really cool Aero beds that have the extra layer on top. You know....I'm not sayin' that anyone is old or anything...but, getting in and out of an Aero bed that's about 4 inches off the ground is not fun even for the young people. Ok? So, the "double high" Aero would be so cool...perfect, right?

Off to Bed, Bath and Beyond with my 20% coupon (does ANYONE shop there without one of those?). Gonna hook my peeps up with a double high, baby.

Then....I saw the price.

TWO HUNDRED AND FIFTY SIX DOLLARS.

Turn your speakers down for a sec...

SERIOUSLY. ARE YOU OUT OF YOUR MIND?

"Attention Bed, Bath and Beyond customers....THE MAN has been spotted on aisle two in bedding department"

Jam it, man. I'm stickin' it to ya.

So I had a brilliant idea. I already have one Aero bed which I purchased many, many years ago. (Note, in the world of Kristin Amaro this is like I never paid for it...things that are more than 7 months old do not have any costs associated with them. P.S. be glad that I'm not teaching your kids economics) Since they have many upgraded Aero beds out now, the "old school" Aero's are much, much cheaper...coupled with a 20% off coupon, we're looking at a good deal.

So I bought a 2nd, twin sized Aero bed identical to the one I have now. And to make it a double high, I'm going to do a stack-a-roo with the two of them. But wait...won't the top one slip and slide off the bottom one posing a potential risk to the guest sleeping on it, you ask?

NOT AT ALL.

May I present to you my latest invention....the "AERO BELT". MuuuuurrrrrHAAAAHAAAAA (that's my evil laugh).



Two pieces of elastic, some Velcro and a few zips around with my Sew Mini (thanks Mom Amaro!) and you've got yourself a set of nice little belts that hold my two Aero beds together.

There you go...you got you some height. AND, you can sleep safely through the night knowing that your top Aero will not slip off of the bottom one. Potential risk ELIMINATED!

HA HA HA!!!! Take that, Aero Bed executives! For the price of one discounted old school Aero and a few bucks at the fabric store I've got my double high...

The man has been stuck.

Tomorrow, I take down Microsoft.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'M FEELIN' DA LOVE ALREADY!

FLASH BENARK

Gracie and Co said...

Girl you are crazy! What a great idea. I have a air mattress on a frame that you could have borrowed. ; )

Anonymous said...

Um. . . I believe the man on aisle 2 that you spotted, well, his name is Mr. Ben Dover.
Aunt Jan
Granddaddy - I'LL be feelin' da love in Murfressboro!

Brandi Hasley said...

So I get that you are ANTI big business. I am feeling you on that one, but I have a dirty little secret. Wal-Mart has the doubled queen Aero beds for $43.88. On top of that, it has the no slip top.

Brandi Hasley said...

Forgot a note...I am very much impressed with your invention.