Welcome to our adventures. I try as best as I can to document the happenings here in our family - everything from the shenanigans to the spiritual, from the kid to the kitchen, from the cat to the catastrophes. We believe that adventure can be found in everything we do...even in the mundane tasks of the day. When we set our minds on things above in gratitude to God, we find the strength to approach life with a sense of purpose & adventure. The adventure may not always be what we have planned...but isn't that what adventure is all about?

Other Stuff We Do

Blog Archive

Sunday, October 19, 2008
I believe it was sometime last week when I announced to my man that if he did not drop what he was doing to go buy me a Sam's Club Buffet table so I could organize 14 months of paperwork, I was going to do something drastic.

Let me give you a little back story....most of you know that in August of 2007 we put our house in Cali on the market. In preparation for the sale, we did a complete overhaul of the house, making it "home-buyer" friendly. Translation: if it's a horizontal surface area, you may not have ANYTHING - I repeat - ANYTHING on it except for a stager-approved knick-knack. Even then, there is a complicated algorithym to determine how many knick-knacks per square foot of surface area as well as the angle and position of said knick-knack.

So away went most all our stuff to storage except for my HUGE desk which got chucked because it broke as we were taking it apart. Well mama had to have a desk, so enter the $70 Craigslist special. It has about 2 inches of surfarce area for me to write on a sticky note. It has no storage space whatsoever except for a place to put your computer tower...which is completely useless for us laptopers. It used to belong to a twelve year old who was getting rid of it for a better desk. That's all I've got to say about the desk, OK?

SO. Here I am in August 2007 with "Playskool's My First Desk". My filing cabinet now lives in the garage with boxes in front and on top. No problem, I think to myself...I'll just get a cute little bin to store my paperwork in until we move to TN. And a cute little bin I got...I put it in the garage where I could get to it when I need something. It worked great until I determined that I needed something to keep "more important" stuff in. Well, no problem...I'll just get a cute little metal basket and put it on the side of my desk. That was the beginning of the end. I tried to keep it under control...but it was like a monster. Bills, invoices, mail, Abby's artwork, magazines, USPS envelopes, Address book, Moving packet, Auto transport documentation, stamps, envelopes, extra paper, extra sticky notes, loose change, pay stubs, loan documents....AHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!

After the house sold (6 months later!), we loaded the car for our 8 week road trip. The "bin" came with us. It was very strategically packed with the absolute necessities. It came with us to all our hotel rooms, it stayed with family, it saw the Grand Canyon. It accumulated stuff: hotel bils, forwarded mail, etc. Then, when we moved into our apartment it joined up with its cousin, the metal basket and a few other friends (wicker baskets #1, #2 and #3 and Big Lots Storage Bins #1 and #2). Since I knew we'd be moving into a house soon, I justified not organizing the monster...so it accumulated some more. It was a source of anxiety for me. Couple that with my Playskool Craigslist desk. Mama no like.

Bring it on back to last week...I had had enough - it was time to bring down the monster. I needed surface area and I needed it bad. The only solution was the 6 foot Sam's Club buffet table.

It's done...the monster is dead. My filing cabinet has returned to a state of harmony and unity.



The Sam's Club buffet table, weary from battle...with just a few remnants remaining for me to tidy up. It served its purpose and restored peace to the office of Club Amaro. The Playskool Craigslist table lives to do battle with me another day...it waits for me as I save my pennies for the Broyhill desk of my dreams.

Thanks Mike for the Sam's Club run...you rock.

Good grief, if you are still reading this, I will send you 50 dollhairs.



love & wicker baskets,
k


SECRET MESSAGE: Out dated arabahs. :)

0 comments: