Welcome to our adventures. I try as best as I can to document the happenings here in our family - everything from the shenanigans to the spiritual, from the kid to the kitchen, from the cat to the catastrophes. We believe that adventure can be found in everything we do...even in the mundane tasks of the day. When we set our minds on things above in gratitude to God, we find the strength to approach life with a sense of purpose & adventure. The adventure may not always be what we have planned...but isn't that what adventure is all about?

Other Stuff We Do

Blog Archive

Wednesday, October 8, 2008

photo by Kathryn aka "Queso" ~ taken in Nashville, Tn.


I LOVE fall. I am sad that it took me so many years to really appreciate it. I mean, when you live in San Diego, Fall isn't really in your vocabulary. It's always wonderful - you may have a little June gloom or an occasional Santa Ana - but come on....it's usually always 73 degrees there (ok, so my memory may have a little marine layer clouding it up...it has been 15 years since I've lived there). Then, when I moved up to the Bay Area in '93 I felt like a whole new world was appearing before my eyes. I was introduced to the concept of "seasons"....WOW. A whole new world indeed.

I think it was a few years after moving up to the Bay Area when I really started to have a liking for fall. I liked the way the trees turned that orange-red color, but still had a little green to remind me that Summer wasn't going to let go just yet (the median of Bancroft Road, right in front of FCF....uh! My favorites!). I like that little crispness in the air...getting out my long sleeve shirts but still being able to wear flip flops...wanting a hot latte instead of an iced one... You know what I mean. It probably helped that summers in the East Bay would tend to be a little hotter than I liked...or, alot hotter. So by the time fall arrived, I would always embrace it like a long lost friend. Ok, I don't want to get too cheesy here - we're talking about a season for pete sake.

Well, today my crush on fall has turned into a full blown love affair....sorry, I had to take it there. This is Swiss, cheddar, Gouda, all baked together with a side of Velveeta - CHEESY! I LOVE FALL!!! Today after lunch, Abby and I took a walk around the hood. It had rained most of the morning, but the sun came out and dried everything up but a few puddles here and there. There was a nice chilly breeze that contended with the heat of the sun...perfect weather...not a cloud in the sky. All you could hear were the sounds of birds and the rustling of trees. Leaves are starting to change and fall to the ground. Waving at the old lady sitting on her front porch rocking chair (of course, she could do that in winter, spring or summer too, but stay with me...it's all part of the big FALL picture that I'm painting for you). It was during this walk that I knew, Fall is the one for me. Now, I've yet to experience Winter or Spring, but I can't imagine anything comparing.

Well, I hope you weren't holding out for a more exiting paragraph, because this is pretty much it. A whole post on my love for fall. Sorry, you can get a refund if you'd like. Or, just look at it as your portion of 'cheese' for the week.

And, I can always get a few miles out of putting a picture of Abby, so I'll do that too...

Here's to fall!

love and orangey-red leaves,
k

SECRET MESSAGE: get your poof on...

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

ahhh loved it...I for some reason have such a love affair for Tenn...maybe it is my IT place too...i don't know, I haven't been yet. I LOVE fall too, which is hard to appreciate when you grow up in Socal. We get much more fall for a couple of days..then we get santa ana's and burn, like we are now.(not supposed to be funny!) I am glad you have found your place for peace and the perfect place to raise your family! Kimberly