Welcome to our adventures. I try as best as I can to document the happenings here in our family - everything from the shenanigans to the spiritual, from the kid to the kitchen, from the cat to the catastrophes. We believe that adventure can be found in everything we do...even in the mundane tasks of the day. When we set our minds on things above in gratitude to God, we find the strength to approach life with a sense of purpose & adventure. The adventure may not always be what we have planned...but isn't that what adventure is all about?

Other Stuff We Do

Wednesday, February 25, 2009
I promise I'm not going to turn this into a foodie blog. But I must stay true to my mission of informing you about the latest adventures at Club Amaro and that happens to include cooking.

Today I got all domestic and stuff and decided to do some bulk cooking. I saw this great idea for bulk breakfast burritos from Trent at "The Simple Dollar" and decided to make it happen Club Amaro style.

Before I put my master plan into effect, I had to get the thumbs up from the troops. So I decided to take a few mornings and make Mike and Abby some breakfast burritos on the fly. In my opinion, a breckie burrito is a nice change of pace from the standard oatmeal/cereal/toast kind of morning. And hey, if I can pull something out of the freezer and pop it in the microwave? And I know what the ingredients are? Even better for me. My peeps gave 4 thumbs up and clean plates all around. I figured that operation "kick Mickey D's to the curb" is a go.

Now Trent does a nice job of listing the cost savings of this little assembly line. I wasn't as concerned about the cost because I knew that it was going to be cheap. Even if it's not as cheap as the free oatmeal/cereal I can score with my couponing, I feel it's a good trade because I am providing a high protein, healthy burrito for my family. And, it's a time saver in the end. Love it!



I also strayed a bit from Trent's recipe, because I like to be a rebel in the kitchen. So let me break it down for you list style.

1. 20 burrito size tortillas
2. 2 dozen eggs
3. 3 Zucchinis
4. 20 ounces of salsa
5. 3 cups of cheese
6. 3 cans of black beans, rinsed
7. Not so secret spices (salt, pepper, onion powder, roasted garlic)
8. Couple of big scoops of Smart Balance
9. Saran wrap

I hit my zukes up in the food processor and added those to my scrambled egg mixture (along with my spices). I melted my Smart Balance then cooked up my egg mixture. I made a little assembly line with my beans, salsa, cheese and eggs. To make each burrito, I laid down a piece of saran wrap on my medium sized cutting board. I put the tortilla down then took care of biz. A few scoops of egg, a nice sprinkle of cheese, a couple of scoops of salsa and to crown off the beautiful mound, a couple of scoops of frijoles negros.

Not to brag or anything, but I'm an expert burrito wrapper from way back. So I had those puppies wrapped up quick and rolled it up in the saran like a little babushka. Making all 20 burritos probably took me about 20 minutes (not including the cooking of the eggs and the setup of my sweet little prep area...or picture taking).

Waaa la.



My little babushka's will go in the freezer where they will be on standby for my troops. Trent has a suggestion for the warming up scenario...I'm sure we'll have to tinker with it. Especially now that we have our new 1100 watt micro-monster. (Going from 5 watts to 1100 has made me afraid to use this appliance...please pray for me).

I'm sorry to keep quoting Gus Portokalos, but I can't help it. So...there you go.

Burritos forever,

k

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

dios mio....my mouth watered a little bit...

Brandi Hasley said...

Man, I need to do this for Greg just for snacking. The man is always munchin'. Do you want a bread starter? Melissa P. passed one on to me, and now I need to do some passing.

Rutledge 7 said...

The Rutledges can CHOW DOWN on some breakfast burritos (at home and ESPECIALLY camping)! I have never thought about freezing them. Thanks for the excellanto idea!