Welcome to our adventures. I try as best as I can to document the happenings here in our family - everything from the shenanigans to the spiritual, from the kid to the kitchen, from the cat to the catastrophes. We believe that adventure can be found in everything we do...even in the mundane tasks of the day. When we set our minds on things above in gratitude to God, we find the strength to approach life with a sense of purpose & adventure. The adventure may not always be what we have planned...but isn't that what adventure is all about?

Other Stuff We Do

Monday, February 23, 2009
In an effort to expand my writing beyond the realm of familial adventures, I decided that I would share a little culinary delight that has been part of the family recipe book for some time now. It's been on my mind recently because I prepared it for a party whose food theme was "Israeli". Everywhere I bring this dish, it gets mad raves...not to mention, my house smells fabulous for about 2 days.

Now, if I told you that the recipe calls for both prunes and green olives would you be scared? Because it does. Can you handle it? Do you trust me? Then come to mama...


Odessa Olive Chicken
(Source: Empire Kosher)
Serves: 8

2 chickens, 8 pieces cut-up
(You can also use boneless, skinless chicken breasts - I favor the chicken pieces myself, but both are delish)

For the marinade:
8 large cloves of garlic, minced
3 tbsp. dried oregano
1/2 cup red wine vinegar
1/2 cup olive oil
Juice of 1 lime
1 cup prunes, pitted
1/2 cup green olives, chopped
4 bay leaves

For baking:
1 cup sweet white wine (I use Moscato)
1/2 cup fresh parsley or cilantro, chopped (I cilantro and use way more than 1/2 cup)

Mix the marinade ingredients together. Place chicken in a non-reactive bowl or zip-lock bag and add marinade. Let sit overnight.

Preheat oven to 350°F.

Place the chicken in a single layer (skin side up if you have it), in a shallow roasting pan. Pour marinade on top and pour the wine around the chicken. Bake for 1 hour and baste from time to time.

Sprinkle with parsley or cilantro before serving. Pass pan juices separately. Freezes and reheats well. And, in my opinion - tastes even better as left overs.
And please, eat the prunes - they are almost the best part.

See how I love you...I tell you all my secrets.

If you make it and enjoy it - drop me a line and let me know. If you make it and hate it...I never gave you the recipe.

prune love,
k

1 comments:

Mel said...

Yeah baby! Just reading your blog makes me hungry! I have been craving the OC ever since I ate it at the party! Still haven't made it, but will soon--- thanks for sharing the recipe!