Welcome to our adventures. I try as best as I can to document the happenings here in our family - everything from the shenanigans to the spiritual, from the kid to the kitchen, from the cat to the catastrophes. We believe that adventure can be found in everything we do...even in the mundane tasks of the day. When we set our minds on things above in gratitude to God, we find the strength to approach life with a sense of purpose & adventure. The adventure may not always be what we have planned...but isn't that what adventure is all about?

Other Stuff We Do

Tuesday, November 18, 2008

a digitally altered rendition of my favorite neighborhood tree



As with anything in life, those things that mean so much to us usually come with a price. Although I'm still finding myself awed by the beauty of my fall tree colors, winter is knocking, coming to steal my lovely greens, golds, oranges and reds. He is not waiting for me to get my fill of trees teeming with beautiful leaves...AT ALL. The yellowing grass is taking each leaf prisoner. Branches are making themselves highly visible. No longer hidden, they are proudly displaying their barrenness. All these things are signs of the upcoming season...one that this San Diego native is not ready to embrace. I want my trees back.

15 years in the Bay Area only slightly prepared me for the dirty little secret that Middle Tennessee would reveal to me today. Now those of you from places like Chicago, Buffalo and North Dakota will probably laugh at me (as soon as I can get to my point). And those of you reading from my hometown may wag your finger at me and say, "told ya so". And that's ok. I love my location...even with its dirty little secret.

So what's the secret? What's the price I'm paying for my trees? It's 19 degrees outside right now, people. Yeah. That's not a typo. 19, Nineteen, NINE + TEN, TWENTY - ONE.

The last two days it's never gotten above 42ish, I think. This is a whole new reality for me. One that involves socks, mittens, scarves and I may even have to break down and buy some ear muffs. I hear you people from the Midwest laughing...just keep making fun of the San Diego native girl...you'll get yours...just wait.

Ahhhh...but those trees. Those trees would never turn if it wasn't for that crisp fall air. There's a price to pay...as there is for most things that are worth anything. The key is finding contentment where you are, whatever price you're paying.

The apostle Paul wrote in his letter to the Philippians, "I have learned to be content whatever the circumstances. I know what it is to be in need, and I know what it is to have plenty. I have learned the secret of being content in any and every situation, whether well fed or hungry, whether living in plenty or in want. I can do everything through him who gives me strength." Now I don't know if Paul had a winter scarf or not, but I still find inspiration - and challenge - in this verse.

Am I content in any and every situation? Are you? Just a little something to ponder while I'm waiting for my electric blanket to pre-heat.

love & mittens,
k

ps: the image for today's post is a digitally altered version of one from my tree photo shoot. My friend Julie over at The Land of Lost Luggage has inspired me (and given me a homework assignment to boot!) with her digital alterations and mixed media art. This is my first attempt - and, maybe not up your alley - but I kinda dig it. Wanted to share it with my peeps.

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

19. I remember when I was 19....

I don't know how you will survive...crimany.