Welcome to our adventures. I try as best as I can to document the happenings here in our family - everything from the shenanigans to the spiritual, from the kid to the kitchen, from the cat to the catastrophes. We believe that adventure can be found in everything we do...even in the mundane tasks of the day. When we set our minds on things above in gratitude to God, we find the strength to approach life with a sense of purpose & adventure. The adventure may not always be what we have planned...but isn't that what adventure is all about?

Other Stuff We Do

Wednesday, November 19, 2008
Dear TAOCA Readers...I have a special treat for you today. Here with us in the studio is Mike Amaro. Mike (who has blogging privileges here any time he pleases) picks and chooses his blogging appearances very carefully so as to make the most impact. It's always a pleasure to have him...please help me welcome him to the posting position...........MIKE AMARO!

Just last week, I noticed that our pantry's cereal supply was at a dangerously low level. We're talking two boxes of Cheerios, one box of Kashi, and one box of Smart Start. I half-expected an alarm to go off along with a bright flashing red light when I ventured into the pantry and made this ghastly discovery. Fortunately, our stockpiling shenanigans have not progressed to that level.

You have to understand something about the cereal situation here at Club Amaro. On any given day, there will be two boxes of cereal that are open and available for breakfast consumption. One of those is usually a box of Cheerios. The other is something other than Cheerios. Call it the "Cereal Special of the Week". This week, it has been Smart Start, one of my personal favorites. I'm one of those people that just can't eat Cheerios and milk, I gotta have a bit of sugar in there. To that end, Smart Start fits the bill nicely. Cheerios and Smart Start, a neat little cereal combo.

Now, being married to the Great Coupon Master, I've learned a thing or two about the coupon business. Rule #1: when you are running low on a particular item, report this immediately to the Chief Shopper (who also happens to be the Great Coupon Master). Or, write it on the dry-erase board if the CS is not within earshot. The CS will begin looking for the right sale to match up with the right coupon(s). Which leads to rule #2: Never, never, never, buy a box of cereal without some sort of coupon and/or BOGO offer.

"Kristin, we're down to four boxes of cereal. Do you have any coupons for cereal?" I'm thinking to myself, "Whoa? Where did that come from? Did I just say "coupons?" But I have lived with, trained alongside, and learned from the Great Coupon Master. I have come to appreciate the Way of the Great Coupon Master. And all of the lessons she has taught me will not fail me in this, the hour of my great need for Cheerios and some other box of non-Cheerios.

Fast forward to last night...the Great Coupon Master has located two coupons for Just Bunches. Each coupon is two bucks off one box. Score! But wait, it gets better because Publix just happens to have a BOGO sale on...you got it - Just Bunches! Double score! And to top it off, the Great Coupon Master has tasked me to make a quick run to the store to pick up the cereal because the coupons are about to expire.

Talk about pressure! I've got to make sure I get this one right. Fortunately, this is about as close to a coupon slam dunk as one can get. Surely I can't flub this one up. I go to Publix, pick out three boxes of Just Bunches, and make sure to present the two coupons to the checker lady. Imagine my delight when she tells me, "That'll be $2.32 - you saved $9.82, not bad!" Yes, there's a special satisfaction one gets when the checker lady herself congratulates you on your coupon prowess.

Which leads me to Rule #3: make sure to blog about your savings and if at all possible, include a picture. I even figured out how to do that. I think I just made The Great Coupon Master proud.
Yeah, that's right folks, I'm officially a Coupon Commando.


Peace, BOGOs, and Just Bunches,
M


SECRET MESSAGE: I'll see you on the 15th!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

wow....what a score!

I'm a little freaked out tohear your husband call you "Kristin"...I just assumed everyone still went by "Dude"... ahh the memories....

Gracie and Co said...

Love your blog! What a great deal on the Just Bunches. Where did you find the coupons? I have looked everywhere. You probably already know about this site, but I thought I would share. couponmom.com It has tons of great info and its FREE!!!

Robin Bollman said...

Thanks for sharing! I love seeing what great deals you guys find! I love finding good deals too,but what you guys manage to do is so over the top! You've inspired me to begin my own coupon adventures! Sign me up!