Welcome to our adventures. I try as best as I can to document the happenings here in our family - everything from the shenanigans to the spiritual, from the kid to the kitchen, from the cat to the catastrophes. We believe that adventure can be found in everything we do...even in the mundane tasks of the day. When we set our minds on things above in gratitude to God, we find the strength to approach life with a sense of purpose & adventure. The adventure may not always be what we have planned...but isn't that what adventure is all about?

Other Stuff We Do

Tuesday, April 15, 2008
Howdy, y'all, from the great state of Texas! I think the last time I posted, I actually talked with a California accent. I'm not so sure that's the case now, having spent the last 5 weeks in Texas and Louisiana. OK...so I might not sound exactly like a rajun' cajun or a cowboy, but my choices of cuisine during this time would certainly qualify me for at least an honorary status.

There were more than a few times last week in Louisiana that I was reminded of that famous scene in Forrest Gump. You know the one...Bubba telling Forrest all of the ways to prepare shrimp..."shrimp gumbo, shrimp etouffee, grilled shrimp..." Heck, a whole chain of restaurants was founded because of it. Well, call me the Bubba Gump of crawfish! Crawfish pie, crawfish cornbread, crawfish etouffee, fried crawfish, crawfish and corn maque choux, you name it, I tried it. What can I say? If I'm in Louisiana, I'm a gonna be chompin' down the crawfish. Well, almost any crawfish...I never could bring myself to try the all-you-can-eat 3 pound boiled crawfish plates....I thought they might up and walk off the platter at any second...too creepy for my likin'...

Now Texas, that's a different story! Barbeque is the name of the game around these here parts. I live by a simple rule, I come to Texas, I eat BBQ at least once during my stay here. Our favorite place is fast becoming Red, Hot, and Blue. Great beef brisket served Memphis style (that is, with cole slaw on top) at a great price. Can't beat it, at least out here in Fort Worth. There might be a certain FCF BBQ chef that might give this place a run for its money...

So...you'd think that all I've done on this trip is eat, eat, and eat. Well, not entirely true. I've had time to ruminate on our cross-country trek many times along the way and thought I'd share a few musings and observations. Hopefully, this isn't worse than listening to a Kenny G song, but we'll soon see. I'll make sure Kristin closely monitors the number of hits this particular post gets. I'm guessing somewhere in the 300 range...as in 300 thousand. Yeah, right. Dream on.

Anyhow, enough nonsense. Almost eight weeks on the road and I must say this has been an excellent adventure so far (sorry Bill and Ted). We've been quite blessed to be able to visit family in CA, TX, and LA, making this trip seem more like an extended vacation rather than a move. We are grateful to so many friends and family that have supported and prayed for us. I can honestly say that Club Amaro has felt the effects of every single prayer that has been lifted up on our behalf. It has been absolutely amazing. Thanks!!!

Besides visiting and staying with family along the way, it has been exciting to see so much of God's splendor in creation. There are no words or pictures that can describe the majesty of the Grand Canyon or any of the other natural wonders that we've visited. Truly amazing spectacles, ones that we will remember for a long, long time. I know Kristin has already done a wonderful job of documenting our travels so far, so I won't repeat all of it here. Suffice it to say that we have had quite an experience and have enjoyed every moment of it. Well, except for that slip and fall that Kristin had a few weeks ago. Her leg is getting better, but it has been a slow recovery so far. :-(

So here we are, less than a week from traveling up to our final destination in Tennessee. As great as this trip has been, we are looking forward to finally settling down and starting a new home. It hasn't come without a price - namely, leaving friends and family behind in California. And you don't know how many times on this trip Kristin and I have looked at each other and said, "What ARE we doing?" But we trust that the Lord has led us down this path for a reason and His plan is always better than we could ever imagine. Why would we want it any other way?

I'll sign off with a verse that I've been pondering for the last few days -- Romans 12:12 "May the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace as you trust in Him, so that you may overflow with hope by the power of the Holy Spirit." It is my prayer for each of you...

Peace, joy, and every blessing,
M

1 comments:

Barney Beagle said...

Hello Club Amaro - What a blessing your posts are. Thank you Mike for posting Romans 12:12. Through our prayer and sharing we are blessed by each other. Nancy Kehoe and I saw each other last weekend (at a children's theatre play) and we both spoke of you fondly. You will ALWAYS have friends in California. Blessings to you as you venture on to Tennessee. Patty