Welcome to our adventures. I try as best as I can to document the happenings here in our family - everything from the shenanigans to the spiritual, from the kid to the kitchen, from the cat to the catastrophes. We believe that adventure can be found in everything we do...even in the mundane tasks of the day. When we set our minds on things above in gratitude to God, we find the strength to approach life with a sense of purpose & adventure. The adventure may not always be what we have planned...but isn't that what adventure is all about?

Other Stuff We Do

Monday, May 10, 2010
I officially can't stop myself....another post.   For those of you that are keeping track, that's FOUR in a row.   I'm an unstoppable rebel force.

So yesterday was mother's day and my 2 favorite people took me to Fall Creek Falls State Park to do a little hiking and sight seeing.   Here's a picture I took of one of the main falls....it pretty much looks like every other picture that has been taken of it.   I think the sound of the water hitting the rocks caused every ounce of creativity I had to leave my body.


Now, in order to get to this part, you had to cross this:


That's Abby on a suspension bridge.   As in, if it breaks you will plummet 40,000 feet to your death on the jagged rocks below.  And I'm sure there are sharks and leviathans in the water as well as a variety of pathogenic microorganisms.  

Ok, so I exaggerate.   But as I stood at the foot of the suspension bridge this is pretty much how I felt about it.    I turned back and looked at my husband and daughter and said in a whisper, "I can't do it."    My legs felt like noodles at just the thought of being close to the thing.   As if the bridge itself would become unhooked from the other end, swing over, grab me and throw me down to the hungry leviathans awaiting a nice juicy native Californian.

But then, the skies parted and rays of sunshine beamed down on the face of my child.....as she opened her mouth to speak, I thought the sound of singing angelic beings would fill my ears.   Actually, she yelled at me

OH COME ON, MOM!  YOU CAN DO IT...

In the span of a second, my entire life flashed before me.   Well, it wasn't my entire life....just those scenes where I was trying to teach my child to overcome her fears.    You know, sitting in the doctors office waiting for a shot......sitting at the top of the really tall slide at the park.....going up to the scary clown to ask for a balloon.....you know, those kind of scenes.

Consumed and nearly crippled by my fear, I stood there....contemplating my next move.   How could I tell my precious child that I was not willing to overcome my fears?    I could justify myself though....I mean, how many hungry leviathan's are waiting at the bottom of the park slide?   We're talking about real safety issues here.   I had the good reasons.

However.......... I chose to overcome my fear and walk across the bridge.     And you never saw anyone walk so gingerly across a suspension bridge as me.   Swiftly, yet gingerly.    Of course, some dork decided to come from the other side whilst I was crossing.    As we approached the middle I could not even look up to give him the mal de ojo...my eyes were fixed on the wooden slats that were separating my body from the hungry leviathans.    Fortunately, he was a seasoned suspension bridge veteran and walked me through the little dance we did to pass each other.   Whew....I continued on to the end and almost collapsed from noodle-leg.    At a certain point I realized that in all my selfish fears, I didn't even consider how Abby and Mike were doing at crossing the death trap.    I turn back around to see Abby skipping across the thing like it was a 12 foot thick slab of concrete.    Hmmm.    She couldn't wait to cross it the other way.....    I think Mike was somewhere in between.

So I'm proud to say that I overcame my fear and modeled "overcoming" to my girl.    Not only that, but I was rewarded with some beautiful scenery and falls.






It was a super fun time with my man and my kid....

By the way.....and I don't know where on earth she gets this......but Abby wanted to lead the way the entire time.   Whenever one of us would get ahead, she would call us back to our subordinate positions and remind us that she was "on point".


Here she is contemplating her next move (as she ties her shoe):


And of course, no trip would be complete without an "Amaro Point" picture:



The "point" of the story is.....there are rewards for those who overcome their fears.    I think Joyce Meyer says it good:  "if you can't get over your fear than just do it afraid".  

So what fears do you need to overcome today?
You can do it.....

Love y'all...
k

2 comments:

Suzy Jahn said...

Good post, K!

Anonymous said...

The New Erma Bombeck. Get this published somewhere.