Welcome to our adventures. I try as best as I can to document the happenings here in our family - everything from the shenanigans to the spiritual, from the kid to the kitchen, from the cat to the catastrophes. We believe that adventure can be found in everything we do...even in the mundane tasks of the day. When we set our minds on things above in gratitude to God, we find the strength to approach life with a sense of purpose & adventure. The adventure may not always be what we have planned...but isn't that what adventure is all about?

Other Stuff We Do

Wednesday, August 12, 2009
I hit a very hard wall today...it was one of realization (or if you are British, it would be wall of realisation).

I realized that my home can no longer contain the multitudes of pictures, paintings, drawings, stories, noodle designs, pipe cleaner butterflies, paper plate faces or hand turkeys.

I knew this day was coming. I have been in denial for too long - today was the day of acceptance. It was time to reduce.

My heart ached at even the thought of it. How could I choose? What would make the cut? What would Abby say if she saw me taking her masterpieces and putting them in two piles? This reduction must be done under the cover of darkness...a covert op of the most classified kind. She must never know that lives would be lost this day.

I sat down. The art monster in front of me...scoffing at me...daring me to try and start what I had been dreading since the day that precious girl lifted her hand to create. Oh the pain.

It must be done, though. It's only been 3 years of school projects and Sunday school take-homes and already the art monster dominates and entire corner of my office. Surely, this can be managed. Certainly there is a compromise. God commands it in His Word: Subdue it.

I pick up the first piece...my heart seemed to scream right out of my chest: NO! Not the glitter covered rainbow fish project! NEVER! Then suddenly, it was as if a peace came over me...I began to realize that it was a piece of construction paper, cut out by a teacher that was sprinkled with glitter. Will this be the art that Abby pulls out of her memory box 20 years from now to say, "WOW...thank God Mom saved this!"

I chucked little glitter rainbow fish into an empty box. There will be no memory of this fish for my daughter.

I pressed on. One piece of art after another. Evaluating each project with a critical eye. Does it display a special skill for this age group? Is it a picture with special significance? Is there a story behind it? Or is it just a piece of construction paper with a few scratches?

As my piles began to become more defined I knew that victory was fast approaching. I felt confident with my selections. Precious stories, brilliant pictures, meaningful cards, fun crafts, math and spelling...a great sampling of them all in a nice 5 1/4" accordion file, labeled with year and school name that will behave itself on a shelf of my choosing. And although I could barely bring myself to think of what would be happening to the other pile, I knew I was doing the right thing.

Art monster...gone.
Office corner...reclaimed
V-day at Club Amaro.

2 comments:

Nicole said...

Kristin, don't feel bad. I did the same thing last weekend and had the same feelings. It is just not easy especially with only one child.
Nicole

Kay said...

I have yet to do this cleaning with my 5 year old's artwork, but I have a friend who asked her daughter to sort her work in 2 piles: "keep" vs. "toss" (so the mom didn't have to decide). My friend said that there were more things in the "toss" pile than expected, so she went through the pile and kept some things. I'll try this with my son when the time comes. If he wants to keep more things than I want, I'll do what you did secretly -- later :)