Welcome to our adventures. I try as best as I can to document the happenings here in our family - everything from the shenanigans to the spiritual, from the kid to the kitchen, from the cat to the catastrophes. We believe that adventure can be found in everything we do...even in the mundane tasks of the day. When we set our minds on things above in gratitude to God, we find the strength to approach life with a sense of purpose & adventure. The adventure may not always be what we have planned...but isn't that what adventure is all about?

Other Stuff We Do

Wednesday, September 3, 2008
...spoken like a true 37 year old. But I've heard it said that 40 is the new 30, so that really only makes me 27 according to my logic. Yes?

Every year on my birthday I claim my Psalm for the year (the Psalm number corresponding to the year that I have turned). Psalm 37 is a good one, and I am very excited about it. If you can stand it, I would like to share some of my favorite verses from it (all verses are taken from the New King James):

"Commit your way to the LORD, Trust also in Him, And He shall bring it to pass. He shall bring forth your righteousness as the light, And your justice as the noonday." v.5-6

"The steps of a good man are ordered by the LORD, And He delights in his way. Though he fall, he shall not be utterly cast down; For the LORD upholds him with His hand. " v.23-24

"But the salvation of the righteous is from the LORD; He is their strength in the time of trouble. And the LORD shall help them and deliver them; He shall deliver them from the wicked, And save them, Because they trust in Him." v.39-40


That is just good stuff. I love all the God "action items"...He shall:
- bring it to pass
- bring forth your righteousness and justice
- uphold with His hand
- be strength in times of trouble
- help and deliver
- save

My "action items" involve committing and trusting. If I commit my ways to the Lord and trust in Him, these promises are for me to hold on to! But how about those days when my commitment and trust levels are put to the test - or they just disappear completely? What happens to these promises then? Hmmmm...I guess I'm not really prepared to answer that. But, for me, I think part of the answer lies in something that Abby said to me last night as I was getting her ready for bed. She cupped my face with her precious little hands, looked me dead in the eyes and said, "Mom...you're not perfect....but you're sweet!".

God knows I'm not perfect...He knows the limits of my commitment and trust...and He knows my heart. God said to Samuel, "The LORD does not look at the things man looks at. Man looks at the outward appearance, but the LORD looks at the heart." (1 Samuel 16:7) My heart desires to commit and trust, even if sometimes my actions don't line up. Someone may look at me and disagree, but only God can judge my heart so I'll leave that up to Him. The trouble comes when our hearts get out of alignment...but that's another topic altogether (and one that I don't care to bring up on my birthday post!).

The good news is you don't have to be 37 for all of this! God's promises are for the young and old alike...no matter where you're at in your life.

Commit and trust...and may the Lord bring it to pass!

love & 37 candles,
k

0 comments: