Welcome to our adventures. I try as best as I can to document the happenings here in our family - everything from the shenanigans to the spiritual, from the kid to the kitchen, from the cat to the catastrophes. We believe that adventure can be found in everything we do...even in the mundane tasks of the day. When we set our minds on things above in gratitude to God, we find the strength to approach life with a sense of purpose & adventure. The adventure may not always be what we have planned...but isn't that what adventure is all about?

Other Stuff We Do

Blog Archive

Saturday, March 8, 2008
Well here it is 11:30pm and instead of doing what I should be (that is, sleeping) - I'm sitting here looking at pictures of our week in SD. It's distracting me from thoughts of the state line that we'll be crossing tomorrow....the one that has a sign that says, "NOW LEAVING CALIFORNIA". Looking back, I think taking the "5 South" from Patterson was more difficult (although we'll see tomorrow)...there was sadness because we were leaving family and not going back to our home on Charlotte. However, there was still San Diego - more family, more familiarity...still California. I'm trying to project what leaving San Diego will feel like.....and, I think more than anything there will be a real sense of stepping out into the unknown. This is what we've ramped up for over the past year - this is the moment of truth. Up till now, there's been a comfort level - our surroundings are known, we have family here to spend time with, sushi is still readily available...well, enough of that - I guess we'll have to wait until the next post to see how it went. For now, how about a recap of Friday?

After having a fabulous brunch at DZ Akins (another family favorite....I guess I can quit saying that, huh?) we said goodbye to Grandaddy (at least for the day) so he could go to work (bummer!). We took care of some errands that couldn't wait any longer...you know, stocking up on a few things for the road. We stopped at Costco for some Airborne (stop believing the hype - it DOES work) and then.......one last stop at TRADER JOE'S to stock up on non-perishable essentials that we love (and that could actually fit in the car). Actually - the road trip route through Arizona and New Mexico that we have planned just so happens to take us right by the only TJ's in both states (hmmm....coincidence? well, yeah it is). Otherwise, if we want anything from TJ's, we'll be traveling 5 hours to St Louis, MO, 3 hours to Atlanta or 6 hours to Charlotte, NC. Bummer. Our last errand was a trip to the Toyota dealership for a great time of wheel balancing ($50 bucks of fun!). An interesting side note: Mike and I spent about 13 minutes contemplating trading in the ol Camry for a Highlander....you know, I DO have the pink slip for the Camry in my possession. We decided that would be very impulsive and we quite like having no car payments anyway.

After a quick stop to base camp, we picked up Uncle Steve and headed off to Boomers for some putt-putt action. Abby has played plenty of golf on the Wii....but now she was able to put all that practice to the test. She wasn't too bad....I would say that she'd be a better shuffle board player than a golf player. She did have alot of fun and I think Steve and Mike did too (I was strictly an observer - I didn't want to make the guys look bad with my mad skills and plus, who was going to take pictures and keep score?) Speaking of scores....I don't think they have a bogey that goes that high.

After putt-putt, the guys took turns taking Abby on the gas powered GO KARTS. The pictures (although they did turn out good) really don't do the moment justice, but if you're interested, take a look by clicking here (you can keep clicking the thumbnails on the right to see the next photo).

After all that fun, we were ready for our last dinner in California.....and, what better cuisine than Japanese? After all, I fear that my sushi eating days are over for awhile....unless I want a catfish roll - YUCK! We went to Osaka and filled up on some really, really good sushi. In addition to enjoying the yummy nibs, I also experienced the worst wasabi head rush ever during one of my last bites. A little something to remember California.

Well, I better take a cue from the other two members of Club Amaro and start sawin' some logs. Next time you hear from me, we'll be in Arizona.

love and unagi,
k


1 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm gonna say some prayers for you guys today. It will probably be a difficult day. You'll be leaving your home state and not returning for a long while. . . . . . .

On a lighter note, I remember D.Z. Akins! When David and I were in SD we ate there and I had their matzo ball soup. It was SOOOO good!
Aunt Jan